Recipe Redux - Butternut Squash Soup

For Shabbat, I am debuting a new soup.  I love squash soup but have yet to make a really good version myself.  This week I took a few different butternut squash soup recipes and created something personal.
First thing I did was roasted the squash in some spple cider and brown sugar.  The smell coming out of the oven was amazing.  I think if I had served the squash straight out of the oven it would have been devoured.

Next I sauteed 1 large onion with some olive oil and ~ 2 Tablespoon curry powder In a large stock pot until the onions were translucent.  Add 2 cups vegetable stock.  Bring to a low boil.  With a slotted spoon, transfer squash to stock pot.  I used my immersion blender to puree the squash in the stock pot.  Combine pan drippings and apple cider up to 2 cups.  Add to stock pot along with nutmeg and ginger.  Bring everything to a low boil.  At this point I needed to adjust the seasonings to my family's particular tastes. The recipe called for hot sauce and I left that out.  I did add some salt.  It also called for heavy cream which I left out. 

The recipe still needs some tweaking.  It was too sweet by the time it was finally served.  I think I will change the proportions of apple cider to stock to 1:2 instead of 1:1 and try it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children