Happy Birthday Darwin

Today is Charles Darwin Day! Thursday, February 12, is the 200th anniversary of English Naturalist Charles Darwin’s birth.

Don’t we all need something fresh to celebrate today? I am celebrating by giving away two copies of “We’re Sailing to Galapagos” written by Laurie Krebs, published by, whom other, than Barefoot Books. I love this book! It has a wonderful “sing-song rhyme” rich, colorful illustrations (the collage-y cut paper kind that amazes me every time I study it). Finally, as all of the titles in Laurie’s world travel series, it has an amazing “glossary” in the back - my friend refers to them often as “Harvard extension programs set to rhyme”.

Laurie does a wonderful job of writing informative, yet light, easy to read rhyming stories. She keeps the main part of the book relaxed and fun (this one among many things introduces the days of the week) then by finishing with rich end notes that, for us, make her books top of the top. The end notes are full of robust details of the subject matter featured in the story. In the case of “Galapagos” the end notes include detailed info of all of the creatures we met on our journey. This element is partly why I am Laurie Kreb’s biggest fan. These books can be read again and again and again. We never make it through all of the end notes in one reading, each time we pick it up there is more to learn and explore.

It is also one of those titles that I say is perfect for many ages. It’s information is so complete I know it will be a valuable resource for the kids school days . . .

Finally, Laurie ends the book with write up introducing Charles Darwin and his famous 5 year voyage, most specifically for his work in the Galapagos Islands. (Not a “Darwinian”? fine, don’t read that page . . . regardless of your beliefs the rest of the book is a “must have”)

the fine print:
  1. To Enter: leave a comment on this post

  2. Make sure to include your e-mail (either in text or in the blind link)

  3. Drawing closes at midnight (doesn’t that sound official) on Friday 2/13/09

  4. Froggy will randomly draw comments #’s from a “hat” (not at midnight)

  5. Winners will be contacted via the e-mail you provide


Comments

  1. Wow, how wonderful!

    We have been celebrating both Lincoln and Darwin today!
    ross@axton.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful book! I love introducing new places and people to my son. Sounds like something he would love to learn about. Thanks for the chance to enter!
    princess3sah(at)cs(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a fun book! Thanks for another great give-oh-way! audrajjensen (at) msn (dt) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fantastic book for my 3 children. Thank you for the great giveaway and the fantastic blog!
    tatertot374@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be great for my kids! Happy Birthday to Darwin, and Lincoln, too. We've been doing lots of reading today in honor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to share this book with my girls
    nor_lou at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son would enjoy this - today is his birthday so maybe that will bring us luck :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liam would love this book! I've got it on my Wish List already :) jennifer.nino(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book looks amazing, I'd love a chance at winning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children