Shabbat Dinner

Shabbos dinners are a special family time with all the pomp and ceremony of any holiday. We use our good china and pretty table clothes. We also have dessert like we would for any other holiday or special event. So Shabbos dinners are also a special challenge for menu planning.

Here are some of my favorite Shabbos recipes

Garlic Chicken
Steamed Salmon in a white wine reduction
Brisket

And of course it would not be Shabbat without Challah
Here is my recipe - It makes two smaller loaves which are perfect for our family

Challah
T
he key for me to making challah each week is my Kitchenaid mixer. Without it, my hands would not be work. I have made this same recipe by hand and it turns out good as long as you knead the dough enough which I am only willing to do when we travel to my mom's since she does not have and does not want a mixer.

Ingredients
1/4 c oil
1/4c honey
1/2c hot water
1tsp yeast
1 egg
approximately 3 cups flour - I use whole wheat

Add yeast to water to dissolve. Place oil, honey and egg in mixer with whisk attachment. Mix thoroughly. Add yeast mixture and 1 cup of flour. Mix for 2 minutes. Change to bread hook. add an additional cup of flour. Mix for 2 minutes. Gradually add the remaining flour mixing for at least one minute after each addition. Stop adding when dough is no longer sticky. Knead dough on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Let rise until doubled in volume, braid let rise 15-20 minutes then bake for 30 min.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children